View energy storage brochures and specification sheets
Contact redT for more information on VRFB energy storage
redT energy storage machines use proprietary Vanadium Redox Flow Battery (VRFB) technology to efficiently and sustainably store energy in liquid form. This technology relies on the ability of Vanadium to exist in four different oxidation states (V2+, V3+, V4+, and V5+), each of which holds a different electrical charge. The electrolyte in the negative half-cell contains V3+ and V2+ ions, whilst the electrolyte in the positive half-cell contains V4+ and V5+ ions.
VRFB technology utilises the flow of this vanadium electrolyte, separated by an ion exchange membrane. A perfectly reversible electrochemical reaction allows electrical energy to be stored and subsequently returned. The setup of the electrolyte and the membrane stack can be compared to that of an engine and fuel tanks. The membrane stack (‘engine’) delivers power rated in kilowatts (kW), whilst the fuel (the vanadium electrolyte) delivers energy rated in kilowatt hours (kWh).
• A redox reaction occurs, changing the composition of the electrolyte.
• This creates a surplus of electrons at the negative terminal, relative to the positive terminal.
• When the system is discharged, the electrons flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, generating an electrical current.
• The redox reaction is reversed by applying an electrical current to the terminals.
• This returns the battery to its original state, charging the system.
In conventional batteries, all of the components are in a sealed casing and this limits the energy storage capacity. By contrast, redT’s energy storage machine is not constrained by these limits as the electrolyte is stored outside of the cell, separating power and energy. This creates flexibility for the user as more electrolyte or stacks can be added as required on a modular basis. To take a look at our full range of modular products, click here
For more information on vanadium redox flow batteries contact the redT sales team.Contact Us